Friday, November 11, 2011

My Generation.


This is a blog I posted many years ago . I also feel it was one of the most God inspired things I have ever written so I felt it merited being republished.

A couple days ago an 18yr old died in a motorcycle accident. His name was Derek, while I never knew him I know many of his friends. I am 20 myself and have seen numerous friends die. I talked to a friend who in the last 48hrs had 5 hrs of sleep because she was up with her sick son all night. Another friend who is desperately trying to change her life for the better, yet can't get the pieces to come together. A very good friend of mine who is gay was downtown and a 'street evangelist' kept coming up to him. My friend turned around and said 'you think I'm with her, no I'm with him. Your church doesn't want me.' So many people my age, myself included, whose biggest fear in life is to be alone. We are rejected by our family, our parents, our managers, our pastors. There is a website called 'I hate young people'. We strive for individuality and to think for ourselves. We will not swallow the answers of yesterday that have no meaning in our lives today. Because of this we are discarded as a lost generation.

Tradition, religion, mundane living, for my generation, this is death. We are told you shouldn't dress like that, you shouldn't have that tattoo, you just need to have more faith, or I know you miss your friend but everything happens in God's time, your a single mother?!?......., be careful about having gay friends their life style might rub off on you, don't worry about the money God will provide. Those lines sound very familiar to me, I've heard them plenty. In fact its in the bible "What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law....hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people's faces. You wont go in yourselves, and you wont let others enter either."

When will the church, God's people, lift a finger to change this. A few have, and for that I applaud you, regardless of how many others condemn you.

Those words still echo in my mind "your church doesn't want me". I believe my entire generation could be summed up in that line. Don't worry the message is received loud and clear, your spot in the 3rd pew for the second service is safe and sound.

To the single mom I have great respect for you and I'm proud to watch your son grow. To my gay friend you have been a great influence in my life and in my job, I love you. To the many people, friends and family of Derek, I do not have the answers to your questions, but I will listen just the same.

Finally to the church."As a Christian its my duty to ask: Are you lifting a finger now? Which one?ut my lil blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment